KLE October Activity – Equality Walk

1. Students will be able to identify about inequalities existing in our society.  
  2. Students will be able to describe the meaning of equality. 

1. Students will be able to describe their understanding of equality in their own words. 

Skills - Communication, Critical Thinking 

Values- Equality, Empathy 

S. No.  Session Details  Estimated Time Required 
1 Step 1: Introduction 

Step 2: Equality Walk 

Step 3: Debrief of Activity 

45 Minutes  

Blank sheet/rough paper to make role name card, pens. 

 Session 1:For a 45 min session Step 1-3 

Step 1 – Introduction

Time: (10 Min) 

1. Teacher will tell the students that today we will play a game in groups. Introduce how to play the activity but do not say its outcome in the beginning.
  2. Teacher will divide the class into 5-6 groups. Each group will represent one role in society. Note: In case of large group size, more groups can be assigned. In case of small group size, the teacher can also get the class to play the game individually or in pairs.
  3. They will pick one chit of role pre-prepared by the teacher or teacher can randomly assign the roles to the group from the list given in Annexure 1.
  4. Tell the students that you want them to imagine what it would be like to be that person, understand the statement in context of that person and then decide the move.
  5. One student from each group will come froward to participate and represent the group. 
  6. Ask the representing students to stand in a line, side by side, and face the teacher. Tell the representing student to write the name of the role on any blank/rough sheet and hold.

Note: Teacher can either organize the activity on ground or ask the students to move the benches on side to create walking space for the representative students.

Step 2 – Equality Walk

Estimated Time (25 Mins)

1. Tell the participants, ‘I am about to read out a series of statements. If you think your character displayed on the card would answer yes to the statement, then take a step forward. If you think they would answer no, then stay where you are’. 
  2. Group members can help the representative of the group to help decide to move forward or not. 
  3. Tell the students after reading the statement they will have 30 seconds to decide. Teacher will clap as a cue for students to move forward or stay in their position.  
  4. Read out the statements (atleast 7-8) to the group as given in Annexure 2. (Adapt according to your group and context if needed.)
  5. After you have finished ask the group to put their character sheet on the floor and step away so that they can see the position of all of the role cards.
  6. Explain to the students that this exercise was designed to give them an idea of the different socio-economic powers different people have in their lives and how they participate in their communities.

Step 3 – Debrief

Estimated Time (10 Mins)

Ask students the following questions to debrief the activity: 

1. Who were the groups or roles left out? Why were they left out? 
  2. How did it feel to be in the group that took a step forward?
  3. How did it feel to be part of a group that stayed at the same place? Was there a time when you wanted to be a part of the group moving forward?
  4. If we say we are equal society, why was there a big gap between those in front and at the back?
  5. What does equality mean to you?

Reflection Sheets, Activity Report & Feedback Form  

Teachers kindly fill in the feedback form, remind office bearers to fill activity report and remind students also to fill up the reflection sheets. 

Annexure 1 – Role Cards

Roles: 

1. Farmer

2. Politician

3. Doctor

4. Sweeper

5. Wheelchair User.

6. Orphan Child

Additional Roles:

7. Middle-aged Mother

8. Police Inspector

9. Vegetable Vendor

10. Successful Businessperson

11. Rag picker

12. Maid

13. Judge

14. Teacher

15. Bus driver

16. Lawyer

Annexure 2 – Statements

Read atleast first 8 statements in this order, others can be taken as per the time available. 

1. I expect to finish secondary school, or I did finish secondary school.
  2. I never sleep hungry.
  3. I feel safe and secure in my community all the time.
  4. I have freedom from my parents to choose my own hobbies. 
  5. I have to depend on others for my basic needs like food, shelter, movement, etc.
  6. I get to see and talk to my parents as and when I want. 
  7. I am free to choose any religion I want to follow.
  8. I can express my opinions in public. 
  9. I have the freedom to choose the profession of my choice.
  10. I can pay for good hospital treatment for my family.
  11. I am able to comfortably access and use public services.
  12. I have a say in local decision making in society. 
  13. I feel harassed/bullied by people around me.
  14. I am able to afford a smart phone.
  15. I get treated differently by people because of my physical appearance.

​​Annexure 1

​​Annexure 2

Related Articles

Disclaimer

The Desh Apnayen Sahayog Foundation website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation. However, no automated translation is perfect or intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to the Desh Apnayen Sahayog Foundation website users and are provided "as is." No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from the English Language into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may need to be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

This will close in 5 seconds

You cannot copy content of this page