October Week 1 Activity
My Traditional Food – ‘E-Booklet’
Type of activity: Research and Art-based activity
In India, food symbolizes ethnic culture and identity, which has motivated people to innovate extensively with food sources like grains, cereals, greens, and meat. Hence, Indian cuisine varies from region to region,
reflecting the diverse cultures in the subcontinent, making it a unique blend of various cuisines across Asia and has also influenced cuisines across the world.
India’s diversity is not only evident in its multi-religious, multi-lingual people but also the vast variety of cuisines that Indians relish. No matter where you stay, there is always that one food item that will remind you of your hometown- one delicacy that defines ‘home’ for you.
This October month, we have Health and Nutrition as our theme. Let us encourage our ACTIZENs to research about some traditional foods of their hometown or state and learn and explore the nutritional value of our indigenous foods.
Expected Outcomes –
Students will be able to:
- Learn the importance of traditional foods and analyze the nutritional values of the same.
- Understand the value of nutrition for healthy living by using indigenous foods/ ingredients.
- Experiment and have fun by cooking their traditional recipe and taste the food of different states.
List of popular food items in different states –
- Maharashtra – Misal Pav/Vada pav
- Punjab – Makki Di Roti & Sarson Da Saag
- West Bengal – Kosha Mangsho
- Gujarat – Dhokla
- Kashmir – Rogan Josh
- Tamil Nadu – Pongal
- Assam – Papaya Khar
- Bihar – Litti Chowkha
- Himachal Pradesh – Dham
- Andhra Pradesh – Pootha Rekulu
- Telangana – Biryani
- Goa – Fish Curry
- Uttarakhand – Kafuli
- Tripura – Chakhwi
- Manipur – Kangshoi
- Meghalaya – Jadoh
- Kerala – Appam
- Madhya Pradesh – Bhutte Ka Kees
- Rajasthan – Dal Baati Churma
- Haryana – Bajre Ki Khichdi
- Arunachal Pradesh – Thukpa
- Sikkim – Momos
- Karnataka – Bisi Bele Bath
- Nagaland – Pork with Bamboo Shoots
- Mizoram – Misa Mash Poora
- Odisha – Chenna Poda
- Chhatisgarh – Chila
- Jharkhand – Rugda
- Uttar Pradesh – Kabab
Steps for the Activity –
- Select one state from the above list and choose one recipe from the given list or any other popular/traditional recipe of the same state of your choice. (You can choose your own state/hometown/any other state of your choice.)
- Research on the ingredients and methods to cook the same.
- Make an E-BOOKLET covering the following points –
- Name of the State –
- Famous Food of the State –
- Your Recipe – Picture of the recipe
- Food group chart – Put all ingredients in the food group chart like done in the chart below
- Cooking method
Steps to cook the same
Special tips for cooking to save nutrients
*** You can also use the following website to make your E-BOOKLET – https://www.canva.com/create/ebooks/
*** You can also use power-point/word to make your E-Booklet.
*** Use pictures and different colours of your choice to make it attractive
4. If you would like to cook the same at home, share your cooking video with different steps and cover the special learning about the recipe, like ‘why this recipe is special’ and how nutritious is it and why?
5. Share your feedback with us about the activity by filling up the reflections sheet given below.