October Activity – Rightful Citizen

1. Help students achieve their potential and develop them into responsible citizens by making them understand the balance between rights and responsibilities. 
  2. Analyse the tenant of ‘democracy’ in several different ways— at their home, school, community and country at large. 
  3. Skills learnt – critical thinking, reasoning, communication and collaboration 

S.no  Activity process  Time taken 
Period 1.   Introduction   

Gameplay 

Teacher to follow guided steps 1,2 and 3 

45 min 

Colourful/plain paper slips (Rights of students written on them), Blackboard, Chalk, and ‘Democracy Index’ Sheets.

Period 1

Time needed - 45 Minutes

Introduction (10 min)

Step 1- Game play (15 min)

Step 2- ‘Democracy Index’ Sheet (15 min)

Step 3- Debrief (5 min)

Step 1

Let's get started!

1. Explain to the students, the activity and the accompanying rules in brief. Tell them, that we as Indian citizens, have certain rights provided by our Constitution. Students also are entitled to some rights as citizens of India.
  2. Teacher will be ready with the reading statements. At this stage, only ‘rights for the students' statement has to be read out loud and not the responsibilities.  
  3. Divide the class into 2 teams.

1. There will be 7 rounds.
  2. Only one right will be read at one time by the teacher.
  3. For each correct answer, a team will get 10 points.
  4. No negative marking.
  5. Each team will have to nominate one player per round or students can raise hand to answer.
  6. The teams listen to the right being readout and they get 1 min to guess the correct responsibility related to the right.
  7. If a question is passed, 5 points awarded to the team answering correctly.
  8. Teacher to be the timekeeper/scorekeeper and ensure fair play.
  9. No hints or clues from other team members.

1. Each team will get turns to answer.
  2. One member from each team will tell the answer (no student to be repeated from the same team).
  3. Teams will then brainstorm and guess the related responsibility to that right. If they come up with a correct answer, they will score a point. Otherwise, it will pass on to the next team.
  4. This process shall be repeated for the next team.
  5. After 7 rounds are done, teacher has to count the points and announce the name of the winning team. She will also acknowledge the most important right voted by the students.
Slips and Answer responses
Note: Responsibilities mentioned here are only for teacher’s reference. Children can discuss and come up with other responsibilities too.
Right You have the right to a safe environment
Responsibility We  have the responsibility to follow safety rules to protect environment, save trees, wildlife, manage and reduce waste, etc.
Right You have the right to voice your opinion
Responsibility We  have the responsibility to respect the opinions of others
Right You have the right to use school materials, facilities and premises
Responsibility We have the responsibility to care for school materials, protect the property and maintain cleanliness
Right You have the right to fair treatment
Responsibility We have the responsibility to treat others fairly, do not discriminate against students, teachers, support staff and give them equal respect
Right You have the right to a good education
Responsibility We have the responsibility to do our best in studies, complete our assignments and homework, and keep our notebooks and textbooks tidy
Right You have the right to freedom of religion
Responsibility We  must respect other people's religion, their culture, food, etc.. Do not pass comments on religion or traditions they follow
Right Raise your voice against laws you think are unfair
Responsibility Respect the law, maintain discipline and, if required, protest with peace

Note: The teacher can add more slips on her own if time permits

Step 2- ‘Democracy Index’ Sheet (15 min)

Let's get started!

1. Tell them, that today, they can explore their ‘Democracy Score’ of home, school and society where they can give rating to some statements after discussion with their teammates. This activity will be conducted in a group of 2 students each sitting next to each other. Quickly explain the process.
  2. Share the ‘Democracy Index Sheet’ with all student groups. Please note that the survey is general in nature and can be conducted with all students. 
  3. Explain them as to how to check ‘Democracy Index’ of their home, school, society/community and country based on the rights they have and give a score from 1-5 based on the rights they have as students (1– Strongly disagree, 2– Somewhat disagree, 3– Agree, 4– Somewhat agree, 5– Strongly agree)
Statement Home

(Score)

School

(Score)

Community

(Score)

Country

(Score)

1. I can participate freely in the discussions on any topic
2. I can follow my religion and pray whenever I want
3. I am flexible to follow the rules/laws made for me
4. I can raise voice against something wrong in whatever way I want
5. I can use social media and share the information whenever I want
6. I can move freely from one place to another anytime
7. I can study whatever I want from books, internet, and other resources
8. I have the right to be treated with kindness and not be bullied by anyone
9. I have the right to safe and clean drinking water for free
10. I have an equal say in small and big decisions which relate to me
11. I have the right to ask the budget to be spent on my education during the year by anyone
12. I can file a complaint in police station if someone give me threats
Democracy Index

Note: There is nothing right or wrong here. This is only to invite and gauge students’ observations and experiences on democratic practices followed by their family, school, community and country.

4. Ask them to calculate the ‘Democracy Score’ of all 4 places and find out which place is most democratic for you as a group? 

5. Collect score sheets from students.

Step 3- Debrief 

1. The teacher will debrief on the ‘Democracy Index Sheet' by asking questions like-
  • Why do you have certain rights at home but not in school or country? 
  • Why discipline and following rules are important for everyone?
  • What were we trying to accomplish through the ‘Democracy Index Sheet’ activity? 
  1. Teachers are requested to fill up the feedback form
  2. Teachers are requested to remind students to fill in reflection sheets at home.

Related Articles

Disclaimer

The Desh Apnayen Sahayog Foundation website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation. However, no automated translation is perfect or intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to the Desh Apnayen Sahayog Foundation website users and are provided "as is." No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from the English Language into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may need to be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

This will close in 5 seconds

You cannot copy content of this page