The change in climatic conditions around us is greater than ever. In recent times, we have seen that temperature has been rising to different level. In summer, we are facing more heat than ever. This climatic change is not limited to just our city, state or country but is impacting globally. Also, this climatic change impacts not just humans but everything on the planet. In some regions of India, we see extreme rains, while some experience cold waves. And in some seasons some regions are experiencing extreme heat waves. As per the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) Heat Wave need not be considered till maximum temperature of that region reaches atleast 40°C for Plains and atleast 30°C for Hilly regions. And, we have noticed in past year these range being crossed often leading to extreme heat waves. The natural climatic conditions are beyond human control, but the mankind can take some actions that can help to reduce the effect of climate change.
When any kind of change in climate happens be it heat waves, excessive rainfall or cold wave, the government then needs to take certain immediate steps to ensure the public safety and health. It also needs to start planning for what actions steps can be taken to reduce the possibility of such occurrences in future.
In this activity, students will explore the role of the local authorities and how citizens can join hands with them in context of the issue of rising heats in locality.
- Students will be able to identify the role of local government in context to certain issue.
- Students will recognize the importance of citizen government collaboration to help local government fulfil its role.
- Students will be able to describe the role of government in context to an issue.
- Students will describe the importance of citizen government collaboration to help local government fulfil its role.
- Skills - Communication, Collaboration, and creativity
- Values – Responsibility
|Estimated Time Required
|Step 1: Introduction
Step 2: Activity
Step 3: Debrief
Session 1: For a 45 min session Step 1-3
Step 1 – Introduction
Time: 5-7 min
Introduce the class with the topic for the day using the introduction section.
Teacher will tell the students we will make poster that shows what role government and citizen can play together to hand the rising heat wave issue effectively.
Step 2 – Group Activity
Estimated Time: 30-35 mins.
1. Divide students into 4 groups. Two groups will represent Local Government Authority and two groups will represent Citizen.
2. Each group will work on Role of stakeholder (atleast 5 points) & how it can collaborate with other stakeholder (atleast 3 points). Group Division to be as follows.
- Group 1 – Local Government authority – Immediate Action Steps
- Group 2 – Local Government authority – Plan for Future
- Group 3 – Citizen – Immediate Action Steps
- Group 4 – Citizen – Plan for Future
3. Teacher will tell the students that they must create a part of ‘Joining Hands’ Poster (Refer the given image). They can trace the handprint of one of the group members. Students can refer to the handout given in Annexure 1 to do the activity.
4. Tell the students they will get 20-25 minutes to do this group work.
5. Once the activity is done, the teacher can arrange for the space on deshapnayen wall for students to display their hands poster. Immediate Action groups for both stakeholders can display together as shown in figure above and similarly Plan for Future can display together.
6. Other students can read the presentations during the recess/break time.
Step 3 – Debrief of Activity
Time: 5-7 min
Ask students the following questions to debrief the activity:
- What have you learnt from the activity?
- What is the role of government to ensure public safety and health?
- Why is it essential for government and citizens to collaborate so that government fulfils it role?
Reflection Sheets & Feedback Form
Teachers kindly fill in the feedback form, remind office bearers to fill activity report and remind students also to fill up the reflection sheets.