Andhra Pradesh Grade 6 March Activity – Share the load

1.  Students will be able to identify the importance of sharing responsibility at home.
  2.  Students will be able to recognize that gender equality starts from home and then goes to society.

1.  Students will be able to define importance of sharing responsibilities at home in their own words.
  2.  Students will describe how they can initiate taking up responsibility at home in performing household tasks.

Skills - Communication, Collaboration, and creativity

Values – Equality

S. No. Session Details Estimated Time Required
1. Step 1: Introduction

Step 2: Roleplay

Step 3: Debrief

45 min

Notebooks, pens

Session 1: For a 45 min session Step 1-3

Step 1 – Introduction

Time: 10-12 min

Introduce the class with the topic for the day using the introduction section.

Teacher will select students to play the characters in the play. She will distribute the script given in Annexure 1 and give them 10 minutes to prepare.

Character list:

1. Mom

2. Dad

3. Son

4. Daughter

5. Grandfather

6. Grandmother

Note: Teacher can also identify the characters and prepare them before the class to present the roleplay

Or Teacher can show the video.

Step 2 – Role Play or Video

Estimated Time: 30 mins.

1. Teacher will ask the group to present the roleplay to the students.

OR 

Alternatively, the teacher will present the video given below if resources are available. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QDlv8kfwIM 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=7&v=wJukf4ifuKs&feature=emb_logo 

2. The teacher will then ask other students the following questions.

i. What are your observations from the role play/video?

ii. Do you agree with the daughter in the play? Or do you agree with female characters role in the video?

iii. Do you share work with your family?

iv. Why should you share the domestic chores in your household?

3. Conclude the session with discussion on benefits of sharing domestic chores. Here are three important ones:

i. There is a stronger understanding of family values, which strengthens the bond and promotes respect among family members.

ii. The family as a whole is better prepared to handle the situation.

iii. The most significant benefit of sharing responsibilities is that it brings each family member's deeper sense of enjoyment into the home.

Step 3 – Debrief of Activity

Time: 5-7 min

Ask students the following questions to debrief the activity:

1. What have you learnt from the activity?

2. What actions will you take to share the load at home?

3. Where apart from household chores do you see inequality in terms of gender around you? Why?

Homework: (5 mins)

Ask students to make a list of daily chores they see at home and mark the member who is responsible for that work at home.

Reflection Sheets & Feedback Form

Teachers kindly fill in the feedback form and remind students also to fill up the reflection sheets.

Annexure 1 – Role Play Script

Teacher will select students to play the characters in the play. She will distribute the script and give them 10 minutes to prepare.

Character list:

1. Mom
  2. Dad
  3. Son
  4. Daughter
  5. Grandfather
  6. Grandmother

(Teacher can read the background to set context)

Mom: Today, I will make potato vegetable as I am really getting late.

(She starts doing her work)

Grandmother: Mala, I am thirsty. Can you get me some water please?

Mala(mom): Sure!

(Mom fetches water for grandparents)

Grandfather: Can you make us some more tea Mala bahu.

Mala: Ji! Papaji.

Mala goes to the kitchen.

Mala: My vegetable and dal are getting cooked on the gas. If I start making tea by removing any one of them, I am definitely getting late for work.

Grandmother: Bahu! Is the tea ready?

Mala: Please wait a little while.

Son: Ma, are you going to give me pasta in the tiffin today?

Mom: No, Beta! I will give you pasta this weekend. It is not possible for me to make an extra dish in the morning hours.

Son: Oh no! You are always busy.

Daughter: Ma! Where did you keep the shoe polish?

Mom: It is there only inside the shoe rack.

Daughter: But I cannot find it!

Mom: (goes near the shoe-rack, finds it) There you are. It just fell behind the running shoe. You would have gotten it if you had searched a bit more.

Father: Oh! Mala! Try to get up early so that you can finish your work!

Mom: I am already getting up at 5:30 a.m. You all wake up at 6:30 a.m. I am already getting up one hour early.

Father: In that case, I think you should wake up at 5:00 a.m. to finish your work.

Everyone (Except the daughter): Yes! You must wake up early!

(Mom makes a sad face)

Daughter: Why should she only wake up early? If all of us wake up early, just 10 min than our usual time and help mom! I think she will have a lot more time on hand. She will not have to struggle. Doing housework is not just her work! All the family members should share work. My teacher had told me this at the ACTiZENS club.

Grandmother: Yes, you are right! Let us try it tomorrow.

Next day-(everyone wakes up 10 minutes early than usual)

Grandmother: Bahu Let me chop the vegetables for you.

Father: I will water the plants.

Children: We will fetch water etc. for grandparents and we will pack our own school bag and get ready for school.

Grandfather: I will drop children at the bus stop for school bus.

Everyone starts helping.

All the work is done smoothly.

Mom: It is just 9:00 am and all my work is done! Today, I have extra time! Let me make some more tea and let us enjoy it together.

Annexure 1

Link for ROLE PLAY VIDEO. - https://youtu.be/QLEqBB5amRY

Related Articles

Disclaimer

The Desh Apnayen Sahayog Foundation website has been translated for your convenience using translation software powered by Google Translate. Reasonable efforts have been made to provide an accurate translation. However, no automated translation is perfect or intended to replace human translators. Translations are provided as a service to the Desh Apnayen Sahayog Foundation website users and are provided "as is." No warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, is made as to the accuracy, reliability, or correctness of any translations made from the English Language into any other language. Some content (such as images, videos, Flash, etc.) may need to be accurately translated due to the limitations of the translation software.

This will close in 5 seconds

You cannot copy content of this page