“Fulfilling fundamental duties should be the first priority of citizens to take the nation to greater heights as it marches ahead towards the centenary of its Independence.” – Prime Minister Narendra Modi
The surroundings that we live in affect the life of each of us as humans. However, even after knowing that the environment should be clean, healthy, non-polluted and safe, we tend to take certain actions during our day-to-day life that may affect our habitat. These actions may bring along certain concerns and duties for the citizens of the region to maintain checks and balances.
Indian history has always emphasized on kartavya (duties) of an individual towards one’s family and one’s nation. Taking this concept forward, in this session we have planned to spread awareness on how to keep a check on certain issues that arise in our immediate surrounding, a part of our duty as citizens of the country.
- Students will learn to apply the awareness messages made by them in their immediate environment.
- Students will get to experience first-hand the process of becoming engaged citizens
- Skills – Strategy Creation, Team Spirit, Outreach and Communication skills.
|S. No.||Session Details||Estimated Time Required|
|1||Pre-preparation of the activity||Seven days before the activity|
|2||Step 1- Introduction
Step 2 – Group discussion & Pledge
|3||Step 3- Display Charts
Step 4- Debrief and homework Step 5 - Reflection sheet and Feedback form
Chart paper, Drawing paper, Art, craft, and colouring materials
PRE-PREPARATION AND GROUPING UP (7 DAYS BEFORE THE ACTIVITY)
1. Inform the class about the activity to be held on __________ (Date and time of the session)
2. Ask students to read and research about the issues on the following themes they have seen in their neighbourhood.
Themes to be worked on,
1.Pollution issues: The government, police, pollution control boards are suggesting many alternative ways for various purposes that do not pollute the environment. Even strict warnings are given in some cities regarding some pollution types.
2.Waste management: A major challenge in our country is waste management. To reduce waste and to effectively manage waste is the need of the hour in our country.
3.Energy conservation: Energy conservation is the effort made to reduce the consumption of energy by using less of an energy service. This can be achieved either by using energy more efficiently (using less energy for a constant service) or by reducing the amount of service used (for example, by driving less).
4.Digital Safety & Security: Many a time we see lot of sales schemes and gift vouchers are flashing on various digital platforms. Some of them are digital traps to extract money from people through digital gateways. As the digital technology advances day by day, we need to keep ourselves safe from such digital frauds.
3. Ask them to choose the themes they would like to work in group for the main activity day in the classroom.
4. Teachers are requested to form groups based on their choices. To ensure enough representation in each theme, teachers can choose participants to move across themes.
5. Ask the students to bring required art and craft material based on their choice on the main activity day.
ACTIVITY SESSION -1
Step 1 – Introduction
In today’s session we will pledge to do our duty as the citizens of the country by following certain rules. We will do a group discussion followed by pledge chart creation.
Step 2 – Creation of Pledge Chart-
1. Divide the students as per the groups decided to begin their activity.
- Group 1 –Pollution issues
- Group 2 – Waste Management
- Group 3 – Energy conservation
- Group 4 – Digital Safety
2. Students will sit in their own groups and discuss how they will reduce the issue's intensity. They will come up with 5 rules that they will follow for the next seven days which will be a part of their duty as a citizen to help curtail the issue in the theme that the group has chosen.
3. After finalizing the five rules’ students will make a chart depicting the five rules. Each of the group members will put their signature on the pledge.
Sample Pledge Chart format for reference only (Students can make their own formats):
| STUDENT PLEDGE
1. I pledge _________________________________
2. I acknowledge ________________________________
3. I promise _________________________________
4. I commit _________________________________
5. I volunteer _________________________________
We make this pledge in solidarity
We urge you too to pledge with us
Group Members Names & Signatures
|OTHER STUDENTS WHO AGREE TO TAKE THE PLEDGE
(To be signed in the next session)
4. Students need to be informed that the activity creation time is only 30 minutes.
5. Inform the students to bring this same chart in the next session.
If students wish to take any other theme than those mentioned above, they need to get approval of the teacher.
Groups will prepare to Display & Share their pledge it in the next sessions.
ACTIVITY SESSION -2
Step 3: Display and Share Pledge
- Groups will display their charts in a popular area of the school during the recess time/arrival time/dispersal time.
- Students of the groups can take turns to urge other students to sign the pledge. They can talk about importance of taking the pledge.
- Group members of other teams also can sign each other’s pledge.
- After signatures the pledges can be put up on the school notice boards.
Step 4: Debrief
Teachers are requested to do a debrief session with all students to try and understand-
- What have you learnt from this activity today?
- How was your experience of working in a group?
- How many people will you spread the word to about the activity? What is importance of spreading a word about this activity?
Reflection Sheets & Feedback Form
Teachers to kindly fill in the feedback form and remind students also to fill up the reflection sheets.