“Fulfilling fundamental duties should be the first priority of citizens to take the nation to greater heights as it marches ahead towards the centenary of its Independence.” – Prime Minister Narendra Modi
The surroundings that we live in affect the life of each of us as humans. However, even after knowing that the environment should be clean, healthy, non-polluted and safe, we tend to take certain actions during our day-to-day life that may affect our habitat. These actions may bring along certain concerns and duties for the citizens of the region to maintain checks and balances.
Indian history has always emphasized on kartavya (duties) of an individual towards one’s family and one’s nation. Taking this concept forward, in this session we have planned to survey on certain issues that arise in our immediate surroundings and find workable solutions for them, a part of our duty as citizens of the country.
- Students will learn to identify issues in their neighbourhood and suggest workable solutions for them.
- Students will get to experience first-hand the process of becoming engaged citizens
- Skills – Strategy Creation, Team Spirit, Outreach and Communication skills.
|S. No.||Session Details||Estimated Time Required|
|1||Pre-preparation of the activity||7 days before the activity|
Step 1- Introduction
Step 2 –Group Discussion
Step 3- Presentation
Step 4- Homework
|3||Step 5: Survey Compilation and Report Making.
Step 6- Debrief
Step 7 - Reflection sheet and Feedback form
Blank paper sheets
PRE-PREPARATION AND GROUPING UP
(7 DAYS BEFORE THE ACTIVITY)
1. Inform the class about the activity to be held on __________ (Date and time of the session)
2. The school will select any one from the given themes.
Themes to be worked on,
i. Pollution issues: The government, police, pollution control boards are suggesting many alternative ways to do things in our day-to-day life that do not pollute the environment. Even strict warnings are given in some cities regarding various types of pollution like Air pollution, Water pollution, Noise pollution, etc.
ii. Roads related issues: Roads are an important part of the neighbourhood. Adverse conditions of the roads or poor light system on the road may create severe problems for the neighbourhood.
iii. Waste management: Waste Management has emerged as a major challenge in many parts of the country. Although most of us know about it we tend to forget about it or do not prioritise it. Some of the basic principles includes Reduce, Reuse and recycling of Waste to help manage it more effectively.
iv. Schools’ choice: The School can select any other topic of their choice provided it involves community collaboration and local government approach.
3. Inform the students about the theme selected by the school. Ask them to research about the issues in their locality on the selected theme.
4. Teachers are requested to form groups based on their locality. To ensure enough representation in each theme, teachers can choose participants to move across themes.
5. Students will come prepared for group discussions on their selected themes on the main activity day.
Step 1 – Introduction
We all cherish living in a neighbourhood where the local government has provided with various facilities to make our life easier and happier. But we may still face certain issues. Have you faced any issues in the neighbourhood? Can you list a few issues? Let them come up with answers. It is our duty as a citizen to do something to curtail such issues.
In today’s session we will plan for spreading awareness and to curtail such issues in your immediate neighbourhood.
Step 2 – Group Discussion
1. Divide the students as per the groups created basis their locality and begin the activity
2. In their own groups, students will identify the issues seen or experienced in their neighborhood or locality as per the theme selected by the school. They will then create a survey questionnaire with at least 5 questions and not more than 8 questions for the identified issues. The survey can include questions like -
- Have you noticed __________________________ issue in our area?
- How does the _______ issue affect you and our locality?
- What according to you can be done to solve this issue? (In this manner, students will frame their own questions)
3. Students need to be informed that the group discussion time is only 20 minutes.
Step 3 –Presentation
- Each group will come and present their Survey questions in front of the class - ‘My Citizenship Duty’ Activity.
- Other groups can give suggestions on the given presentations as needed.
Step 4: Homework
After the presentations are done. Tell all the students that they will individually survey any 4-5 people in their neighbourhood for homework. Note down these answers to make compiled group report of findings in next session.
Note: Teacher needs to pre-inform the students of the next session date for them to be prepared with findings of their homework
ACTIVITY SESSION -2
Step 5: Survey Compilation and Report Making.
Ask students to sit in their own groups and compile their survey findings. Basis the survey findings, come out with workable solutions for the issues in their neighbourhood. Each group will make a common report of their survey findings. The report can include-
- Name of their locality/area
- Issues in their area
- Survey Findings
- Workable solutions according to the group
- Signatures of the group members
Each group will submit their report to the teacher.
This report will be used in the upcoming sessions in January for next steps forward in this Neighbourhood Project.
Step 6: Debrief
Teachers are requested to do a debrief session with all students to try and understand-
- What did you learn from this activity?
- How was your experience of conducting and compiling the survey?
Ask students to find out about the local government office in their area.
Note: Teacher needs to pre-inform the students of the January session date for them to be prepared with findings of their homework
Reflection Sheets & Feedback Form
Teachers to kindly fill in the feedback form and remind students also to fill up the reflection sheets.