With a harmonious mix of variant credo and thought flow in its population, Goa celebrates religion, music, dance & food festivals with extreme enthusiasm. For people of Goa, singing and dancing are a part of their life. The entire state vibrates with the beats of merriment during the time of festivals in Goa. This city is filled of happy-go-lucky people always ready to enjoy! The city welcomes the tourist all over the world to show its glamour and dazzling celebrations. Tourism is one of the most crucial as it helps to boost the economy.
The festival and glamour along with Tourism culture brings along certain concerns and duties for the citizens of the region to maintain checks and balances. Indian history has always emphasized on kartavya (duties) of an individual towards one’s family and one’s nation. Taking this concept forward, in this session we have planned to spread awareness on how to keep a check on certain issues that arise after the festivals as a part of our duty as citizens of the country.
- Students will learn to apply the awareness messages made by them in their immediate environment.
- Students will get to experience first-hand the process of becoming engaged citizens.
- Skills – Strategy Creation, Team Spirit, Outreach and Communication skills.
|S. No.||Session Details||Estimated Time Required|
|1||Pre-preparation of the activity
(7 days before the activity)
Step 1- Introduction
Step 2 - Awareness Art creation
Step 3- Display
Step 4- Debrief and homework
Step 5 - Reflection sheet and Feedback form
Newspapers, Chart Paper, Glue, Scissors and Colouring materials
PRE-PREPARATION AND GROUPING UP (7 DAYS BEFORE THE ACTIVITY)
- Inform the class about the activity to be held on __________ (Date and time of the session)
- Ask students to read and research about the issues caused due the festivals on the following themes.
Themes to be worked on,
a. Health and Hygiene: It is important that we stay healthy and hygienic throughout the year, but especially during festivals so we can celebrate it to the fullest. Spread awareness of some health and hygiene tips that we tend to forget while enjoying our festivals.
b. Traffic management: During festival time there is influx of tourists leading to various traffic related challenges. To avoid traffic congestions and road accidents create awareness messages to follow traffic guidelines during festival time.
c. Waste management A major challenge of festival time is management of resources so that least amount of waste is generated. It is usually seen that after festival time a lot of litter is left back unattended. To reduce waste and to effectively manage waste spread awareness with help of creating artefacts using waste materials.
d. Digital Safety: Many a time we see during festival, lot of sales schemes and gift vouchers are flashing on various digital platforms. Some of them are digital traps to extract money from people through digital gateways.
4. Ask them to choose the themes they would like to work in group for the main activity day in the classroom. Each group will create Posters and Newspaper bags with messages to spread awareness on the theme. Posters can have drawings, slogans, messages, etc related to spread awareness on theme. Newspaper bag will have one key message written on it.
5. Teachers are requested to form groups based on their choices. To ensure enough representation in each theme, teachers can choose participants to move across themes.
6. Teacher will distribute themes to these groups. These groups will work on it offline for homework. They will decide how and what they are going to make on the activity day then, finally, present it on the main activity day.
7. Ask the students to bring required art and craft material based on their choice on the main activity day.
Step 1 – Introduction -
In modern times, festivals are getting commercialized and taking the shape of pomp and show. E.g., Different communities set huge, gigantic, and attractive bright idols to compete with other cities. This all leads to the significant problem of environmental pollution, Traffic congestions and noise pollutions due to processions, Cleanliness of celebration waste etc.
In today’s session each group will create Posters and Newspaper Bags for spreading awareness to curtail such after issues of the festivals.
Step 2 – Creation of Artwork-
1. Divide the students as per the groups decided to begin their activity.
- Group 1 – Health and Hygiene.
- Group 2 – Traffic Management.
- Group 3 – Waste Management.
- Group 4 – Digital Safety
2. Students will sit in their own groups and start making the Posters and Newspaper bags to spread awareness as per their theme. On Newspaper bag – stick a paper with message on it.
3. Inform the students that the activity creation time is only 30 minutes.
- If students wish to take any other artwork presentation than those mentioned above, they need to take approval of the teacher.
Step 3 – Display of the Artwork
- Each group will come and display their creation - ‘ACTiZEN Awareness through Art’ in the identified area of the classroom or any other space in the school.
- Students can also invite students of other classes during the recess time to see the artwork and spread awareness.
Step 4: Debrief
Teachers are requested to do a debrief session with all students to try and understand-
- If you could do the activity again, what would you change?
- What did you learn from this activity today?
- How was your experience of working in a group?
Ask each student to make one replica of Newspaper Bag with awareness message on it and give it to any other person in their neighbourhood.
Reflection Sheets & Feedback Form
Teachers to kindly fill in the feedback form and remind students also to fill up the reflection sheets.